The Jewish cemetery - Zabytek.pl
Address
Iwaniska
Location
voivodeship świętokrzyskie,
county opatowski,
commune Iwaniska - miasto
Jews belonged to the religious community in Opatów at that time; it was only in the 1620s that an independent kahal was established. By 1629, there was already a synagogue in the town.
Iwaniska was located on trade routes from Kraków through Opatów to the east and through Iłża to Warsaw and Vilnius. The main occupation of the inhabitants was trade, as well as agriculture and crafts, among others. goldsmithing, bell founding and brasswork. The city had a brewery, mills, an oil mill, a sawmill and tanneries. There were many fairs here, and a market every Monday.
In 1657, Iwaniska was destroyed and plundered by the troops of George II Rákóczi, the prince of Transylvania allied with the Swedes. This marked the beginning of the city's decline.
At the end of the 18th century, the Jewish community in Iwaniska had 12 houses, 15 cottages, a town hall, a hospital and a school cottage. At the turn of the 20th century, difficult economic conditions forced many Jews to emigrate, mainly to Canada, the United States, Israel and Colombia.
In the interwar period, mills and tanneries were still operating in Iwaniska, and there was still a market where horses, cattle and pigs were sold. At that time, Jews had a bathhouse, a wooden school, a brick synagogue, a slaughterhouse and a cemetery. At that time, among others, the Association of Jewish Craftsmen was active, with 70 members. In 1933, 1,450 Jews lived in Iwaniska, and six years later this number increased to 1,748.
After the outbreak of World War II, Iwaniska was captured by the Germans. Until October 1942, the Jewish population was able to live in their homes, although some Jews were deported to the ghetto in Klimontów. Ultimately, all the Jewish inhabitants of Iwaniska and Klimontów were deported first to the ghetto in Chmielów and then to the German Nazi extermination camp in Treblinka.
The Description
The Jewish cemetery in Iwaniska was probably established in the mid-19th century. It is currently located outside the built-up area, near Rakowska Street. During World War II, the necropolis was devastated and the matzevas were used as construction material.
It was only in 2006 that the cemetery was tidied up and fenced with a stone wall with a steel gate and a wicket, thanks to the initiative of Norton Taichman from the United States. There are several dozen fragments of tombstones attached to the inner side of the wall, found in various places in the town. A monument in the form of an obelisk with a Star of David and an inscription commemorating the history of the local Jews and the victims of the Holocaust was also erected.
Author of the note: Magda Lucima
Właściciel praw autorskich do opisu: Muzeum Historii Żydów Polskich POLIN.
Category: Jewish cemetery
Protection: Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_26_CM.28157