The Jewish Cemetery - Zabytek.pl
Address
Łasin, Radzyńska
Location
voivodeship kujawsko-pomorskie,
county grudziądzki,
commune Łasin - miasto
In 1818 they already constituted a group of 106 people (9.7% of the town's total population), in 1831 - 157, in 1845 - 255, in 1871 - 287 (12%), in 1885 - 243 (11.1%), in 1890 - 230 (10.5%), in 1895 - 211 (7%), in 1905 - 130 (6.3%), in 1910 - 77 (2,8%). Organizationally, they were subordinate to the Jewish community in Grudziądz, which covered the whole Grudziądz district, as well as parts of Wąbrzeźno and Chełmno districts. Despite this, during the 19th century, they developed their infrastructure - a synagogue and a cemetery.
The outflow of the Jewish population from Łasin, which had lasted since the end of the 19th century, intensified in the Second Polish Republic. The last Jews left the town in 1930; their presence was no longer recorded in subsequent censuses. The destinations were either Germany or other places in the region; for example, in 1933, 59-year-old Jadwiga Lewińska, born in Łasin, lived in Tuchola. In 1922, the synagogue, which no longer had many worshippers, was sold for 1 million Polish marks and later converted into a residential house. The building burned down in 1928; the ruins were demolishe
The Description
The Jewish cemetery in Łasin was established in 1818. It was located to the south-west of the town centre, on a small hill. It had a plan of a narrow rectangle parallel to the road from Łasin to Małe Szczepanki. It adjoined from the side of the main gate, like today, Radzyńska Street (Polish: ul. Radzyńska). A brick wall surrounded the necropolis; the last repair was made in 1913. The area of the cemetery was 0.071 hectares. In 1923, it was closed and sold to the local magistrate. Neglected and devoid of care after the departure of the last Jewish inhabitants of Łasin, it existed until 1939. In 1939, it was entirely destroyed by the Germans. No fragments of tombstones have survived. After the war, the remains from the liquidated Evangelical cemetery in Łasin at 1 Stara Street (Polish: ul. 1 Stara) were transferred to the site. After 1945, it functioned for some time as a car park. It is now a square in the vicinity of the municipal cemetery.
References
- E. Alabrudzińska, Gmina Wyznaniowa Żydowska w Grudziądzu w latach 1920– 1939, [in:] Gminy Wyznaniowe Żydowskie w województwie pomorskim w okresie międzywojennym, Toruń 1995;
- X. Fröhlich, Geschichte des Graudenzer Kreises, Bd. 1, Graudenz 1868;
- G. Salinger, Zur Erinnerung und zum Gedenken. Die einstigen jüdischen Gemeinden Westpreußens, New York 2009, vol. 2, pp. 490-491;
- K. Wajda, Die Juden in südlichen Westpreußen (Regierungsbezirk Marienwerder) im. 19. Jahrhundert, [in:] Juden in Ost- und Westpreußen. Gefälltigkeitsübersetzung, Hildesheim-Olms 2000;
- M. Wołos, Cmentarze żydowskie w województwie pomorskim w latach 1920-1939, [in:] Gminy Wyznaniowe Żydowskie w województwie pomorskim w okresie międzywojennym, Toruń 1995, pp.
Właściciel praw autorskich do opisu: Muzeum Historii Żydów Polskich POLIN.
Category: Jewish cemetery
Protection: Monuments records
Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_04_CM.92825