Poznaj lokalne zabytki


Wyraź zgodę na lokalizację i oglądaj zabytki w najbliższej okolicy

Zmień ustawienia przeglądarki aby zezwolić na pobranie lokalizacji
This website is using cookies. Learn more.

The Jewish Cemetery - Zabytek.pl

Address
Frysztak

Location
voivodeship podkarpackie, county strzyżowski, commune Frysztak

Jews began to settle in Frysztak most likely in the 16th century. In the next century, an independent Jewish community already operated in the town. In 1650, Jews had their own cemetery and a wooden synagogue, and lived in the district behind the market square called "Hell" by local Christians.

In 1772, Frysztak became part of the Austrian partition, which was a period of revival of trade and crafts. Unfortunately, at the beginning of the 19th century, the city was affected by a cholera epidemic and fire. The Jews then moved to the empty squares left by the burnt houses in the market square, and in 1810 they built a brick synagogue.

In 1838, 657 Jews lived in Frysztak. At that time, the kahal maintained a hospital for the poor, and Jewish associations operated in the city, such as Gemilut Chesed and the Chewra Kadisha funeral society. Next to the synagogue there was a Jewish library and a Talmud-Torah school. In 1890, 39 Jewish houses burned down in the city fire, including the wooden old synagogue, cheder and hospital for the poor. From 1892, Jews held the position of deputy mayors of the town.

At the end of the 19th century, anti-Jewish riots occurred in the town when peasants from nearby villages attacked Jews during the market day. A similar situation occurred in 1918. The group, then numbering approx. 300 peasants from the surrounding villages, attacked the town, committing in particular the looting of Jewish property. In 1919, as a result of being accused of ritual murder, a dozen or so Jews were beaten.

In the interwar period, Jews had two synagogues in Frysztak, a bet midrash and a Talmud-Torah school. Among the political organisations, the orthodox Aguda had the most influence. In 1921, 1,010 Jews lived here, and by 1939 this number increased to approximately 1,400 people. The last rabbi was Chaim Baruch Halberstam, from a famous family of tzadiks from Nowy Sącz.

After the outbreak of World War II, Frysztak was captured by the Germans. On the second day of the New Year (Rosh Hashanah), the occupiers shot several Jews praying in the synagogue and set the book collection there on fire. Others were murdered on the road to Strzyżów; they were buried in the nearby Catholic cemetery.

The Germans set up a Judenrat and a Jewish police force. In 1941, a German Nazi labor camp was established on the outskirts of the city of Frysztak, initially intended for Jews from Warsaw. Prisoners were forced to work on the construction of a railway siding from Wiśniowa to Stępina, where a tunnel was being constructed.

In 1942, the Germans established a ghetto in Frysztak. They liquidated them in the same year in 1942, deporting and murdering over 850 people (mainly women, children and elderly people) in the forest in Warzyce. Another group was shot in the forest in Krajowice, and the remaining Jews were sent to the ghetto in Jasło, and from there to the German Nazi extermination camp in Bełżec. The Germans sent the last 35 prisoners who were cleaning up the deserted ghetto to the ghetto in Przemyśl. Only 20 Jews from Frysztak probably survived the Holocaust.

The Description

The older of the two Jewish cemeteries in Frysztak was likely established in the 17th century. This was evidenced by a tombstone dated 1650, which was here before World War II. The necropolis is currently located on a slope, close to the market square, between Franciszka Gołębiowskiego and Parkowa streets. Nowadays, part of the historic area may be covered by private plots.

About 30 sandstone matzevas have been preserved in the cemetery, often in very poor condition. The tombstones were destroyed during World War II and due to landslides. Noteworthy is the grave of Ester Etel Elbaum, the daughter of the great tzadik Elimelech of Lizhensk, who died in 1800. It is fenced with a metal fence and a tree grows inside it.

Author of the note: Magda Lucima

Właściciel praw autorskich do opisu: Muzeum Historii Żydów Polskich POLIN.

Category: Jewish cemetery

Protection: Monuments records

Inspire id: PL.1.9.ZIPOZ.NID_E_18_CM.94615